Gluten-Free Creamy Creole Soup & Cornmeal Dumplings
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on January 18, 2017. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 9/20/2021
I'm sure I've mentioned before that I get really "If you give a mouse a cookie" about things.
We went from "Need to tile the bathroom" to "let's tile a subtle Fibonacci sequence into the wall" to ".. and Pi on this other wall!"...
Costuming, cooking, whatever. I'll have a simple idea, and by the time I'm done with it... Yeah.
Gluten-Free Creamy Creole Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
So, when we were grocery shopping one morning, one of the things on the to-make list for photographing Beyond Flour 2 was cream of shrimp soup.
... But then I wanted some kick.
... And then I decided to do it Creole. Oh, that needs a deep dark roux!
... So of course I had to add andouille sausage.
... Also in the mood for dumplings. Let's go with cornmeal ones!
Came home, developed the recipe, had it for breakfast.
Teetering on the edge of a food coma now... Ooh, it was SO good.
No longer anything resembling cream of shrimp soup... But SO much better!
Gluten-Free Creamy Creole Soup Variations
This recipe is VERY adaptable.
Since creating it, my husband has developed an intolerance for beef and pork... so we use poultry-based Andouille sausage.
Sometimes we can't find that, so we use a turkey based smoked sausage coil.
Sometimes we'll swap the shrimp out entirely, and replace it with a couple lbs of chopped up chicken breast (We brown it in the olive oil, before browning the sausage).
Chicken or vegetable sauce can be swapped in for the shrimp stock. Sometimes we skip the dumplings altogether!
No matter which way we go with it, this is a creamy, delicious, VERY satisfying and addictive soup.
My Gluten-Free Cookbooks!
If you're interested in gluten-free cooking and baking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks: Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten Free Cooking & Baking, and the sequel... Beyond Flour 2. You can order them right here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Creamy Creole Soup with Gluten-Free Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1 lb Andouille sausage
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 stalks celery Star Trekked
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Tomato paste*
- 4 cups shrimp stock
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup White rice flour
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 1 lb raw shrimp deveined and shelled
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish optional
- Slice the skin of each Andouille sausage, emptying the meat into a large pot. Break it up into bite sized chunks, and drizzle the olive oil over it. Cook over medium high heat until sausage is well browned.
- Add pepper, onion, and celery to the pot, saute for 2 minutes or so. Add garlic and tomato paste, continue cooking until tomato paste is browned and fragrant. Add stock and spices, stir well.
- In a small pan, melt butter. Add rice flour, whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until this roux turns a nice mahogany colour. Slowly and carefully, add heavy cream – it will sputter at first. Whisk mixture as cream gets added, continue whisking until smooth.
- Add cream mixture to main pot, stirring to fully incorporate it. Turn heat down to medium and keep at a simmer while you prepare the dumplings:
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flours, cornmeal, green onion and parsley, tapioca starch, baking powder,and salt. Measure shortening/butter into the same bowl, and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork(s). The idea is to work it in until it’s evenly distributed throughout, in very small pieces.
- Add milk/buttermilk, stir just until dough comes together. Don’t over stir or beat it. If dough is too crumbly, add a small amount of extra milk.
- Add shrimp to soup pot, stir gently. Immediately drop rounded tablespoons of dumpling dough into boiling soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes WITHOUT LIFTING THE LID. Serve hot, garnished with parsley if desired.