This Gluten-Free Creamy Creole Pasta was designed around traditional Louisiana flavours, but in a less traditional format - as a noodle dish!
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on September 12, 2016. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 9/20/2021, and updated on 2/11/2023.
This weekend, amidst dealing with ALL OF THE PEPPERS (more on that later this week!), I had a weird craving.
I really wanted creole food... but then I also really wanted pasta.
I think the change in weather lately just put me right in the mood for pasta, for something creamy... but also loaded with the flavours of southern cuisine.
So, I decided to freestyle it, and came up with this dish.
Gluten-Free Creamy Creole Pasta
Oh MAN... I think it may now be my favourite pasta dish ever.
Total comfort food, elevated a bit - I could live on this.
The flavours and textures were perfect. and everything worked SO well together.
While it's traditional to chop celery to roughly the same size as the onion and green peppers in Creole - or Cajun, for that matter - cooking, I decided that I wanted to "Star Trek" my celery. (Slice at an angle, making little celery Star Trek insignias!), for a bit more crunch, and a prettier dish.
Also, a note: While I would normally use Andouille sausage for this - and it would be FANTASTIC - we used a smoked turkey sausage.
Beef and pork haven't really been agreeing with my husband lately... so poultry it is!
More Gluten-Free Main Dish Recipes
Looking for more dinner ideas? I’ve got you covered...
Gluten-Free Bacon Poutine Pizza
Gluten Free Beef Stroganoff
Gluten-Free Beet Gnocchi
Gluten Free Chicken Mushroom Tourtiere
Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp
Gluten Free Cod Au Gratin
Gluten-Free Cod Cheeks & Dressing
Gluten Free Crab Cakes
Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Gluten Free Creamy Creole Soup
Gluten-Free Fish Fingers & Custard
Gluten Free French Onion Soup Tart
Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
Gluten Free Perogies
Gluten-Free Sesame Chicken
Gluten Free Spicy Orange Chicken
Gluten-Free Square Root Tart
Gluten Free Tourtiere
Share the Love!
Before you chow down, be sure to take some pics of your handiwork! If you Instagram it, be sure to tag me - @BeyondFlourBlog - or post it to My Facebook Page - so I can cheer you on!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Creamy Creole Pasta
- 1 lb Gluten-free Penne Pasta Brown rice pasta works best
- 1 lb Andouille or Smoked Sausage of Choice sliced
- 2 Celery Ribs sliced
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 Green Pepper chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves pressed or minced
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Sage
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lb Raw Shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 Green Onions thinly sliced
- Place pasta in a large pot of boiling water. Plan to strain pasta when it’s JUST about tender enough, but in the meantime:
- In a large saucepan, brown sausage. Add celery, onion, and green pepper; saute until tender. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add butter to pan, stir until melted. Sprinkle rice flour over melted butter; cook – stirring frequently – until the flour paste (roux) turns a golden brown. (Go darker if you’re comfortable with making roux!).
- Carefully add white wine to pot – it will steam violently – and whisk until smooth. Add chicken broth, milk, cayenne powder and herbs, continue whisking until once again smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sausage and vegetable mix to the pot, along with strained pasta. Cook over medium heat until some of the liquid is absorbed by the pasta, and it is as tender as you like it. Add shrimp, stir, and heat just until shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with green onions.
Leave a Reply