Gluten-Free Sesame Chicken
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on July 28, 2014. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 3/4/2021
Saturday night, my laziness / beat-uppedness (That's a word now. I say so.) ended up setting in motion the events that would soon result in the development of the BEST sesame chicken I've ever had in my whole life.
Chores, taking a friend for her VERY first experience at SR Harris (a local fabric warehouse... overwhelming experience!), writing, and a costumed appearance at a local comic & games store made for a very long day.
When I finally got to sit down at the end of it all, my body and brain made a pact: I would NOT be getting up again in the foreseeable future.
That made MAKING supper an impossibility.
We decided to order in... which comes with its own set of issues, but hey... I didn't even have to sit up. What I REALLY wanted was sesame chicken, but that wasn't an option.
Even if I could find a place that does it gluten-free, we don't have anywhere GOOD in delivery range.
So, I "negotiated" with myself. Would settle for pizza, under the understanding that I'd MAKE gluten-free sesame chicken the following day.
Gluten-Free Sesame Chicken
Unfortunately, I managed to wreck myself and my (non-gluten-free) husband for all other sesame chicken, in the process. There are NO words for how much better this was, than anything we've ever had.
The sweetness and spice levels were perfect, the chicken was high quality and super juicy, and there wasn't the "I think this may have been sitting for a few hours" texture.
SO good. If you're a fan of sesame chicken, you need to make this ASAP.
If you're not GF yourself, you CAN substitute 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour for the flours and corn starch in this recipe... but you'll miss out on the flavour and texture.
As my husband posted on Facebook:
"This is amazing sesame chicken. Seriously, the best I've had. Absolutely delicious!
Oh yeah, it's gluten-free, but whatever.
By that, I mean that I have no real need to be gluten-free, but this is amazing whether you are gluten-free or not!"
In particular - beyond the ridiculous sauce - he loved the crispiness of the batter, saying that it was crisp, but not crumbly, and stuck well to the chicken.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Gluten Free Sesame Chicken
- Oil for deep frying – we used vegetable oil
- ¾ Cup Garbanzo / Chickpea Flour
- ½ Cup Corn Starch
- ¼ Cup White Rice Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Cup Water or Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Crushed Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 4 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ Cup Garbanzo / Chickpea Flour
- Start heating your oil to 375F – you’ll want at least 2-3″ of oil in your pot or deep fryer.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together all sauce ingredients - except sesame seeds - until smooth.
- Heat over medium, simmer until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat, set aside while you fry the chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, and sesame oil. Add water, stir well to form a thick batter.
- Allow batter to sit for 5 minutes or so, to soften the bean flour.
- Toss chicken chunks with additional garbanzo flour, then dredge in the batter.
- Carefully transfer battered chicken pieces to the preheated oil, cooking in batches. Fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Use a slotted metal spoon to transfer fried chicken to paper towels.
- Once all chicken is fried, toss with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.