AIP / Paleo Chicken Shawarma
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on March 13, 2020. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 9/20/2021.
As I've mentioned before ... one of the best things about Hamilton is also one of the most difficult things, when it comes to being on a restrictive diet.
There is amazing food EVERYWHERE. Every ethnicity you can think of is represented, and then some.
As part of that, there's a shawarma place pretty much every three blocks. I honestly don't know how much of an exaggeration that is.
There are shawarma-specific places, shawarma on combined focus menus, many pizza places even offer shawarma pizza.
AIP Paleo Chicken Shawarma
Anyway, I digress. With shawarma everywhere, I knew I'd have to come up with a reasonable facsimile to serve at home.
I'm proud to say that I managed to do just that - this is amazingly accurate for something that has no dairy or nightshades - and really hits the spot!
We've been making this almost every week since developing the recipe. The chicken leftovers reheat well, and also make a great salad:
Easy Paleo Chicken Shawarma
Some of the prep work can be done beforehand.
Toum can be done several days ahead, same with the paleo beet pickles.
You can marinate the chicken overnight ... really, the seasoned tortillas and actually cooking the chicken are the only tasks that really should be done right before serving.
As far as the chicken goes, the recipe reflects the quickest and easiest way to cook it - sauteeing on the stove top.
Alternatively, you could bake it or charcoal grill it (which has THE most authentic flavour, imho) - in either of these cases, marinate whole chicken breasts, cook them, then slice them up for service.
My Gluten-Free Cookbooks!
If you're interested in gluten-free cooking and baking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks: Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten Free Cooking & Baking, and the sequel... Beyond Flour 2. You can order them right here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Chicken Shawarma - AIP & Paleo!
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Batches Cassava Flour Tortillas
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Quick Beet Pickles
- Dill Pickles Optional
- Cucumber Slices Optional
- Red Onion Slices Optional
For The Chicken
- Trim chicken breasts, slice into thin strips. Place into large bowl.
- Mix together spices, add to bowl. Using clean or gloved hands, mix well, rubbing spices into the chicken.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil, continue to mix until well distributed.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours
- Follow instructions for Cassava Flour Tortillas, as linked.. but add the Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Oregano to the dry ingredients in the first step.
- In smallish batches, saute chicken until cooked through.
- Top each tortilla with chicken, toum, pickles, and whatever toppings you want, serve immediately.