Gluten-Free Banana Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on February 25, 2020. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 9/20/2021
Today is "National Pancake Day", and that information made me realize that I'd never shared my Banana Buckwheat Pancakes recipe here on the blog!
This is one of the recipes from my first gluten-free cookbook, Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking.
Can you believe that it's been four and a half years since that one came out? Wild. Time really flies!
Much like with most of my muffin recipes, I like to add fruit in the batter to add flavour, nutrition, and moisture to my pancakes.
This is a really fantastic recipe - quick and easy, has a lot of flavour payoff and a great texture ... without being obnoxious.
Combined with fresh blueberry sauce, banana buckwheat pancakes are a fantastic meal to start the day off with - whether you're normally gluten-free or not!
Homemade Blueberry Pancake Sauce
1 (12 oz) pack frozen blueberries
1 cup Granulated sugar
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Water
Zest of one orange
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring
constantly. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until
* For a more "adult" variation, substitute Amaretto for the water!
My Gluten-Free Cookbooks!
If you're interested in gluten-free cooking and baking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks: Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten Free Cooking & Baking, and the sequel... Beyond Flour 2. You can order them right here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- In a bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In blender, process buttermilk, banana, vanilla, egg, and oil until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients. Lightly stir, just until combined – do not over beat it!
- Lightly oil your griddle or frying pan, preheat over medium or medium-low heat. Scoop ¼ cup(50 ml) amounts of batter onto the griddle. Gently spread batter out into a larger circle, about 4 – 4.5″ in diameter.
- Cook until bubbles start popping through top surface. Flip, cook until done.
- Serve with blueberry syrup… maybe with whipped cream, and a sprinkling of nutmeg!