This recipe for Gluten-Free Mushroom Soup and Eggs on Toast is an upgraded version of one of my childhood favourites... now gluten-free!
Note: This recipe was first posted on my original blog, Celebration Generation, on May 14, 2012. It was transferred over to this blog - existing comments and all - on 9/20/2021
So, I’ve written and deleted the first few paragraphs of this blog entry a few times.
Who knew that writing a blog entry on a very simple comfort food from my childhood would be so complicated?
Today’s recipe was brought on by all of the Mother’s Day ads lately, it’s a sore time of year for me, etc.
To say that my family’s relationship status is “It’s Complicated” would be a gross understatement.
Gluten-Free Mushroom Soup & Eggs on Toast
My grandmother was awesome, and this recipe was inspired by her.
She used to make mushroom soup and eggs on toast for me as a kid, and I loved it.
Very simple comfort food - heat up an undiluted can of cream of mushroom soup, chop up some hard-boiled eggs into it, and serve it over toast. Good stuff!
Well, now I’m an adult that’s allergic to gluten, so indulging in this weekend’s nostalgic craving took a little more effort.
Not a ton of effort, mind you... and the results were so good!
This is not high cuisine, and it's not the prettiest meal ever - but it sure hits the spot.
While I've designed this recipe to be gluten-free, feel free to serve it on regular toast, and/or use flour instead of cornstarch if you're not Gluten-free.
Either way, hope you enjoy it!
PS: I have no idea if it's a regional thing, or what - but no one I know seems to have ever heard of this dish. Anyone out there have any thoughts on that?
More Gluten-Free Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
Looking for more breakfast food recipes for the whole family? Here are some easy recipes to try:
Gluten-Free Apple Pancakes with Caramel Apple Topping
Gluten Free Bagels
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Gluten-Free Banana Muffins
Gluten Free Banana Nutella Ebelskivers
Gluten-Free Blackberry Muffins
Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins
Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Bread
Gluten Free French Onion Soup Tart
Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
Gluten-Free Lemon Mascarpone Ebelskivers
Gluten-Free Paska [Easter Bread]
Gluten Free Pop-Tarts
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
Gluten Free Sourdough Waffles
Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Mushroom Soup and Eggs on Toast
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 Celery Rib chopped
- 1 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped and divided
- 2 Garlic cloves pressed
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme chopped
- 2 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoon Water
- Salt and Pepper
- 6-8 Large Eggs, Hard boiled, peeled and sliced
- 8 slices of bread toasted*
- In a large pan, cool onion and celery – stirring often – until vegetables are tender and onion becomes translucent.
- Add about ⅔ of the mushrooms, garlic, and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cook until mushrooms are very soft – about 10 minutes.
- Pour mushroom mixture into a blender or food processor, process til smooth. Set aside.
- In the same pan, combine heavy cream with remaining mushrooms and thyme, bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are desired tenderness. Add pureed mushroom mixture, stir until well combined.
- Whisk together corn starch and water until smooth. Add corn starch mixture to pan, stirring until very well combined. Turn heat down to low, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
- Once sauce thickens, stir in sliced eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat.
- Place one slice of hot toast on a plate, spoon some mushroom soup mixture over it. Top with another slice of toast, and more mushroom soup. Serve immediately.